Homeschooled Student Admission

Arcadia has plenty to offer homeschooled students. You will find your place within our close-knit community, and our faculty members work with you one-on-one to make sure you reach your educational goals.   

Step One: Begin Your Application

Common Application  OR   Coalition for College Application

Step Two: Submit Documents

Complete and submit the following materials to apply to Arcadia University:
  • SAT or ACT scores
  • One letter of recommendation. The letter should be from an evaluator or teacher.  You are welcome to submit a second letter from another teacher, an employer or another adult who can effectively assess your academic abilities. Please note that recommendations from family members will be considered in addition to the required recommendation from unrelated individuals. If your parent is your teacher, we welcome his/her recommendations, but we also want a recommendation from an outside source. Possibilities include: evaluator, non-parent teacher, club/organization leader, employer, etc.
One or more of the following:
  • State approved diploma
  • GED
  • Comprehensive representation of your homeschool curriculum (grades 9-12). This can be provided in any combination of the following: portfolio, course outlines, syllabi, log book, etc.
  • Grade report and/or sample works representing a variety of subjects and spanning the four years of your secondary education. Evaluator's reports are also helpful.

Optional Supplementary Materials

Feel free to submit any other relevant material that will tell us more about your abilities. These materials can be helpful in determining scholarship potential. Examples include:

  • Essay
  • College transcript(s)
  • SAT II subject tests
  • AP test scores
  • CLEP exam scores
  • Additional writing samples or course material (e.g. science lab report)

Frequently Asked Questions

Is There a Deadline to Apply?

We encourage you to submit your application as soon as possible. Admission offers and scholarships are awarded on a rolling basis, meaning that we make decisions as applications are received.

Am I Eligible for Financial Aid and Scholarships?

Homeschooled students admitted to Arcadia University can apply for federal, state and institutional aid and will be evaluated in the same way as a traditional high school student. However, according to state law, Pennsylvania students without a recognized diploma or a GED will not be eligible for state grant money. If you are from another state, you should check with your Board of Education about your state’s grant laws.

Among the financial aid you will be eligible for are Arcadia University need- and merit-based scholarships and grants. You may also qualify for federal work study.

Learn more about financial aid.

Can I Apply If I Don't Have a Diploma or a GED?

Yes. Your portfolio, test scores, interview and recommendation will be the factors considered in your admissions decision. (Please note that Pennsylvania will not award state aid, PHEAA, to students without a state-approved diploma or GED).

Locate a GED testing center near you.

I Don’t Have a Grade Report. Can I Still Apply and Receive a Scholarship?

Yes. Submit a thorough portfolio that represents your academic career. We will review the materials for an admission decision and to determine potential scholarship award amounts. Scholarships are also awarded for extracurricular activities and community service.

How Important are SAT Scores?

SAT scores are one component used in the admissions process to determine your scholastic ability. They will be considered in association with your established academic achievements.

Will Arcadia Consider My Extracurricular Activities?

Yes. We always consider extracurricular activities in admission and scholarship decisions, regardless of whether these activities are school sponsored or community based.

I've Taken Community College Courses. Will Arcadia Accept the Credits?

Arcadia University will typically accept the credit if the course correlates with one of our own academic departments and is a C- or better.

Can I Receive Credit for AP or CLEP Exams?

Arcadia University accepts AP scores of 3 or higher for credit. We typically also accept passing scores on the CLEP exam.

Questions About Applying?

Enrollment Management
1-877-ARCADIA (1-877-272-2342)

A disciplinary matter or criminal conviction, occurring prior to the time of application (whether or not disclosed on the application), while the application is under review, or after the admission decision has been made, may affect decisions regarding admission and Arcadia University reserves the right to revoke admission in such circumstances. Also, because offers of admission and enrollment are based upon a record of academic achievement, Arcadia reserves the right to revoke admission upon receipt of a final high school transcript (or most recent college transcript) reflecting a significant decline in academic performance. Additionally, if an application misrepresents any information, for any reason, admission or enrollment may be revoked at the University’s discretion. Finally, admission to the University does not guarantee placement in campus housing or participation in student teaching placements, internships, or clinical rotations, which may be subject to additional policies or practices.

Under the Pennsylvania Child Protective Services Law (23 Pa.C.S.6301 et seq)., Enrollment Management staff, as school employees, are mandated reporters.  As such, staff are required to make a report of suspected child abuse if they have reasonable cause to suspect that a child is a victim of child abuse.

Arcadia University is committed to ensuring equal opportunity to all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, race, color, religion, creed, sex, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, age, or disability in its educational programs, activities, admissions, or employment practices as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendment of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and other applicable statutes. Inquiries concerning Title IX, Section 504 and ADA compliance and information regarding accessibility should be directed to the Affirmative Action Officer, 450 S. Easton Road, Glenside, PA 19038-3295; phone 215-572-2947.